Lawyer Releases Video of Rodriguez ArrestFeb 25, 2014
Warning: some viewers may find the video disturbing.
The lawyer for the family of Luis Rodriguez has released video of his arrest in the Warren Theatre parking lot early Saturday morning on February 15. Rodriguez was pronounced dead a short time after the arrest at the Moore Medical Center.
Sergeant Jeremy Lewis with the Moore Police Department said the incident began as some sort of fight between family members in the theater parking lot.
“Three security officers responded to a fight where a mother was apparently slapping her daughter,” said Lewis.
One of those security officers was an off-duty Moore police officer. The other two were off-duty game wardens. Lewis said the three were joined by two on-duty Moore police officers.
When the officers attempted to get the personal information of everyone involved in the incident, the husband refused and began to fight with the officers. Lewis said the officers handcuffed the man and shortly after that he stopped breathing.
“An ambulance was already on the scene concerning another incident and they responded to the man not breathing but were unable to revive him,” said Lewis.
On the Monday afternoon following the incident the Moore Police Department released the following statement concerning the death of Luis Rodriguez on Friday night in the Warren Theatre parking lot:
First and foremost, the Moore Police Department sends our condolences to the Rodriguez family. Concerning the events that occurred early morning Saturday, February 15th, 2014 at the Moore Warren Theatre involving 3 private security officers (one of which is a Moore Police officer) and 2 on-duty Moore Police officers, the investigation is still ongoing and parties involved, including witnesses, have exercised their right to counsel. The following is an account of what we can confirm:
- Officers were notified of a possible fight in the theatre parking lot.
- All the events that took place once officers arrived at the incident involving the Rodriguez family are now under investigation. Details will be released once the investigation is complete.
- A search warrant has been obtained for a cell phone that was retrieved from the scene. The Cleveland County District Attorney will determine when the cell phone is returned to its owner.
- The 3 Moore Police officers involved are currently on administrative leave pending a thorough investigation.
- Detectives are now reviewing video evidence from the incident and will be conducting interviews with all parties involved in the coming days. All of the findings will be sent to the Cleveland County District Attorney’s Office for a thorough review.
We will update you as the investigation progresses. We understand the public’s desire for information and we ask for patience as all of the facts are being investigated and will not be released until they are confirmed by investigators.
The investigation into the death of Luis Rodriguez has been handed over to the OSBI.
CLICK HERE to listen to the full Moore Police Department press conference concerning the incident.
CLICK HERE to watch an interview with the wife and daughter of Luis Rodriguez.